1. Educate all passengers about carbon monoxide poisoning.
2. Make sure all exhaust clamps are in place and secure.
3. Look for exhaust leaking from exhaust system components, indicated by rust and/or black streaking, water leaks, or corroded or cracked fittings.
4. Inspect rubber exhaust hoses for burned or cracked sections. All rubber hoses should be pliable and free of kinks.
5. Confirm that water flows from the exhaust outlet when the engines and generator are started.
6. Listen for any change in exhaust sound that could indicate an exhaust component failure.
7. Test the operation of each carbon monoxide detector by pressing the test button. Make sure the battery is installed properly and is in good condition. Never remove the battery unless replacing it with a new battery.
CONSULT WEBSITE: and click on Carbon Monoxide
REVIEW QUESTIONS: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Choose the true statement:
a. Teak surfing is not a dangerous activity.
b. Passengers need not worry about carbon monoxide.
c. Seasickness and intoxication are caused by carbon monoxide.
d. All carbon monoxide poisonings are preventable.
Which of the following is a poison danger to boaters?
a. Carbon Dioxide b. Carbon Monoxide c. Oxygen d. Propane
The leading cause of death by carbon monoxide is:
a. Water skiing too close to the boat b. Regularly tuned engines c. Exhaust leaks d. Exhaust from another vessel
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:
a. Fever, vomiting and ringing ears b. Headache, nausea and dizziness c. Diarrhea, fever and chills d. Red eyes, stomach ache and gasping for breath
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT CARBON MONOXIDE, www.dbw.ca.gov/PubsAndReports.htm
Turn to page 88 for correct answers.
Was this article helpful?
Lets start by identifying what exactly certain boats are. Sometimes the terminology can get lost on beginners, so well look at some of the most common boats and what theyre called. These boats are exactly what the name implies. They are meant to be used for fishing. Most fishing boats are powered by outboard motors, and many also have a trolling motor mounted on the bow. Bass boats can be made of aluminium or fibreglass.