To make sure that your PFDs remain in good condition.
♦ Do not alter the PFDs. An altered PFD no longer meets legal requirements and may not save your life.
♦ Do not place heavy objects on PFDs during storage.
♦ Do not use PFDs as kneeling pads, boat fenders, or seat cushions because they lose buoyancy when they're crushed.
♦ Let PFDs air-dry thoroughly before putting them away.
♦ Always store your PFDs in a well-ventilated place, out of direct sunlight.
♦ Never dry your PFDs by a direct heat source, such as a dryer, heater, or radiator.
♦ Before wearing, check PFDs for signs of wear and age. Look for rips or tears, mildew, loose or missing straps, frayed webbing, broken zippers or buckles, and hardened stuffing. A PFD with any of these problems must be replaced.
REVIEW QUESTIONS: Life Jackets
Answer these questions by circling T for true or F for false.
1. Although life jackets come in different styles, there is no difference in their capacity to save a person T F
2. For added safety, it's a good idea to attach a whistle to your life jacket. .. T F
3. The nice thing about life jackets is that one size fits all T F
4. You should always check your life jacket for signs of wear or age before using it T F
5. All passengers should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved, properly fitted life jackets under the following conditions:
in rough seas, more than 3 miles off shore, riding on any boat underway, when the wearer is not a good swimmer T F
Turn to page 88 for correct answers.
Was this article helpful?
If you're wanting to learn about boating. Then this may be the most important letter you'll ever read! You Are Going To Get An In-Depth Look At One Of The Most Remarkable Boating Guides There Is Available On The Market Today. It doesn't matter if you are just for the first time looking into going boating, this boating guide will get you on the right track to a fun filled experience.